Saturday, October 18, 2008

Nate and Lexi's first campout

Nate's cub scout den is going on a camping trip on November 14. To make sure that he would do okay I decided on a smaller scale camp out in our backyard.

I went ahead and got sleeping bags for Me, Nate, and Lexi (because she wanted to go with us too) and a tent. I set up the tent in the back yard and used the depression where the old tree used to be as a fire pit.

I went and got McDonald's for the camp out food. Then we roasted marshmallows over the campfire and then was the moment of truth - we climbed in he tent and went to sleep. The kids did alot better than I had thought. Lexi said she was a little nervous when the motorcycle went by but other than that they both went to sleep and slept all night.

In the morning I brought the kids in and broke down the campsite. The bulk of the ash from the campfire I threw into the compost bin then buried the rest. The sleeping bags I washed and was actually able to put back in their sacks. Alas the same could not be said for the tent. I ended up putting it in a garbage bag for now.

Lexi was upset that we are not spending tonight outside too (but I see through that - she really wants to roast more marshmallows). But I told her that maybe early next year when it starts warming up again we will have another little camp out.

I posted a couple of pics of the kids at the campfire and in the tent. Enjoy.

No comments: